P Visa

The P visa is a nonimmigrant visa for athletes, artists, and entertainers. P visa holders can work legally in the US for P visa sponsors. P visa holders are allowed to travel in and out of the US. Spouses and children of P visa holders may not engage in employment in the US, but may attend school or college.

Types of P Visas

Based on his or her profession or purpose for visiting the US, the P visa applicant will fall under one of the P visa categories. There are four different types of P visas, which include the following.

P-1 Visa

The P-1 visa consists of two categories, the P-1A visa and the P-1B visa. The P-1A classification is for internationally recognized athletes coming to the US to compete in or perform at an athletic competition either as an individual or as part of a team. The P-1B classification is for members of internationally recognized entertainment groups coming to the US to perform.

P-2 Visa

The P-2 visa is for artists and entertainers coming to the US to perform as an individual or as part of a group under a reciprocal exchange program between a US organization and an organization in another country.

P-3 Visa

The P-3 visa is for artists and entertainers who are coming to the US to perform, teach, or coach under a “culturally unique” program.

P-4 Visa

The P-4 visa is for family members (spouse and children under age 21) of P-1, P-2, and P-3 visa holders.

Applying for P Visas

Given that the P visa applicant meets the eligibility requirements for their respective P visa category, their employer or sponsoring organization must file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, on their behalf.

In addition, the petitioner must submit all of the necessary supporting documentation required of the beneficiary’s specific P visa application.

Essential Support Personnel

Each P visa category also includes essential support personnel. Essential support personnel are those who are an integral part of the P visa holder’s performance and perform support services that can not be completed by a US worker.

Examples of essential support personnel for each P visa category include:

  • P-1 Visa: Scouts, coaches, trainers, and other team officials and referees for P-1A nonimmigrants; and front office personnel, camera operators, lighting technicians, and stage personnel for P-1B nonimmigrants.
  • P-2 Visa: Stagehands, trainers, and other personnel with critical knowledge.
  • P-3 Visa: Scouts, coaches, trainers, and other team officials and referees.

The petitioning employer must also file a Form I-129 for essential support personnel.



Related Articles

Related Articles