P2 Visa

The P-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for artists and entertainers coming to the United States to perform under a reciprocal exchange program between a US organization and an organization in their own country.

A P-2 visa holder may stay in the US for as long as is needed to complete the event or performance, but the period of may not exceed one year. However, the period of stay may be extended by one year increments if more time is needed.

P2 Visa Eligibility

Artists and entertainers who are eligible for a P-2 visa must:

  • Be entering the US through a government recognized reciprocal exchange program.
  • Have comparable skills to the US participants taking part in the program outside the US.
  • Meet the health and character requirements.

Applying for P2 Visa

The sponsoring US labor organization or US employer must file for a P-2 visa on behalf of the applicant. They must file Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, and submit the required documentation to USCIS.

Once USCIS approves the petition, the petitioning employer may apply for the P-2 visa at a US embassy or consulate.

The processing time for P-2 visa is usually two to three months.

Required Documents for P2 Visa

P-2 visa applicants and their sponsoring petitioners must submit the following documentation along with their Form I-129.

  • Written consultation by an appropriate labor organization.
  • A copy of the reciprocal exchange agreement between the US organization and the foreign organization that will be hosting the US artist or entertainer.
  • A letter from the US organization describing the reciprocal exchange program.
  • Evidence that both the foreign and the US artist or entertainer have comparable skills and the terms and conditions of employment are similar.
  • Evidence that a US labor organization or similar was involved in negotiating the reciprocal exchange of the US and foreign artist or entertainer.


Related Articles

Related Articles