P3 Visa

The P-3 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for artists and entertainers coming to the United States to participate in a culturally unique program. This includes artists and entertainers who are coming to perform, teach, or coach in such programs. These programs may be either commercial or non-commercial.

A P-3 visa holder may stay in the US for as long as is needed to complete the event or performance, but the period of may not exceed one year. However, the period of stay may be extended by one year increments if more time is needed.

P3 Visa Eligibility

Individuals who are eligible to apply for a P-3 visa must be coming to the US for the following purposes:

  • For developing, interpreting, representing, coaching, or teaching a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance.
  • To participate in cultural events which will serve to further the understanding or development of their specific art form.

Applying for P3 Visa

A sponsoring US employer or organization must file for a P-3 visa on behalf of the applicant. They must submit Form I129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, along with all of the required documentation and filing fees to USCIS.

Once USCIS approves the visa petition, the sponsoring employer may apply for the beneficiary’s P-3 visa at a US embassy or consulate.

The processing time for the P-3 visa usually takes two to three months.

Required Documents for P3 Visa

Sponsoring petitioners must submit the following documentation along with the Form I-129 when filing for a P-3 visa for their beneficiary.

  • Written consultation from an appropriate labor organization.
  • Copy of the contract between the petitioner and the beneficiary.
  • One of the following:
  • Documentation from recognized experts attesting to the authenticity of the applicant’s skills in performing, presenting, coaching, or teaching; or
  • Documentation that the performance is culturally unique, evidenced by reviews in newspapers, journals, or other published materials.
  • Evidence that all the performances and presentations will be culturally unique events.

Changing Employers

Individuals or groups in the US on a P-3 visa may change employers by having the new employer file a new Form I-129. The P-3 visa holder may only change employment once their new Form I-129 has been approved.



Related Articles

Related Articles