When Should I Pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee?
USCIS encourages new immigrants to pay their immigrant fee after picking up their immigrant visa but before departing for the United States.
New immigrants may also pay their immigrant fee after arriving in the US. In this case, USCIS will send a notice requesting payment. The new immigrant’s green card will not be distributed until the USCIS immigrant fee has been paid.
How Much Is the USCIS Immigrant Fee?
The cost of the USCIS immigrant fee is $165.00. This is separate from the Immigrant Visa Application Fee payable to the Department of State for the processing of your visa application.
How to Pay USCIS Immigrant Fee
The process for paying your immigrant fee is as follows.
- Review your immigrant information, as received by the US embassy or consulate. This information should including the following:
- DOS Case ID
- Instructions for paying the USCIS immigrant fee
- Immigrant Data Summary
- Sealed immigrant visa packet
- Go to online filing and complete the following steps. Compatible browsers include Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Google Chrome. You can also have a family member, friend, or other do this for you as long as they have your A-Number and DOS Case ID.
- Click the “Log In” button.
- Click “USCIS Immigrant Fee.”
- Enter your A-Number and DOS Case ID.
- Pay your USCIS immigrant fee.
- Pay the $165 fee online.
- Pay the $165 fee online. Pay using valid payment information. You may pay with a credit card, debit card, or by providing your US bank routing and checking account numbers.
After Paying USCIS Immigrant Fee
After paying the USCIS immigrant fee, you may travel to the United States with your immigrant visa packet, which you will present at the port of entry. Once admitted to the US, USCIS will mail your green card to you after verifying that you have paid the immigrant fee. If your US address is different from the one you provided during your immigrant visa interview, be sure to provide your new address to the Customs and Border Protection officer upon arriving in the US.
If you wish to track the status of your green card, you may visit the USCIS homepage and click on “Check your Case Status.”
Remember, you will not receive your green card until USCIS receives your $165 immigrant fee.