Advance Parole

What is Advance Parole?

Advance Parole is a re-entry permit for aliens to re-enter the US. Immigrants with conditional residency or applying for permanent residency require Advance Parole while entering USA from foreign nation. For example, if you are an Indian who has applied for Green Card, but you want to visit India for your cousin’s marriage. Ordinarily, you may not leave US territory because your ongoing application (Form I-485) for attaining permanent residency may come under risk, while re-entering USA. However, with advance parole you can gain re-entry and avoid any delays to your current application.

How to Apply for Advance Parole?

The application for Advance parole can be filed by submitting Form I-131. This form is available at Advance parole can also be filled with your Form I-485. There are various categories to fill out the Advance parole section such as:

  • Application Type A : re-entry permit
  • Application Type B and C: refugee travel document
  • Application Type D: pending I-Form I-485; pending Form I-821; or approved Form I-821D
  • Application Type E and F: Parole on Humanitarian grounds

What is The Need of Advance Parole?

Every non-immigrant needs permission to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. Advance Parole is an immigration document issued by the United States.

If you want to travel outside the U.S., while your application for U.S. Permanent Residency (Green Card) is pending, You must have an Advance Parole.

If you want to file an application for Advance Parole, you can fill the Form I-131, available at United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

Remember DHS can revoke your right to admission to US anytime, even when you are outside the United States.

Why does one need to obtain Advance Parole?

  1. Return to the US without an immigrant visa or non-immigrant visa.
  2. Preserve status of pending application at the USCIS.
  3. If you are outside the U.S. & want to visit the U.S. temporarily for emergency humanitarian reasons but cannot get a passport/ visa.

Who are Eligible For Advance Parole?

Non Immigrants (Aliens) in the United States may apply for Advance Parole if they have:

  • an application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) pending;
  • been admitted as a refugee or have been granted asylum;
  • been granted benefits under the Family Unity Program;
  • been granted Temporary Protected Status;
  • an asylum application pending; or
  • an emergent personal or bona fide reason to travel temporarily abroad.

Who are Not Eligible for Advance Parole?

Non U.S. citizens (Aliens) in the United States are not eligible for Advance Parole if they are:

  • In the United States without a valid immigration status;
  • In possession of a previously issued reentry permit or refugee travel document which is still valid, unless it was returned to USCIS or it is demonstrated that it was lost;
  • An exchange alien subjected to the foreign residence requirement;
  • The beneficiary of a private bill; or
  • Under removal, deportation, exclusion or rescission proceedings.
  • Asylee or refugee who has not filed an application for adjustment of status.

You may travel without Advance Parole while your I-485 is pending if you hold one of the following non-immigrant visa and continue to maintain your status :

  • H-1 (temporary worker) or H-4 (spouse or child of a H-1)
  • L-1 (intra company transferee) or L-2 (spouse or child of a L-1)
  • K-3 spouse or K-4 child of a US citizen
  • V-2 spouse or V-3 child of a lawful permanent resident.

Documents Required for Advance Parole:

To obtain a travel document (Advance Parole), following documents are required for filing Form I-131 :

  • An accurately completed Application for Travel Document, Form I-131.
  • A receipt notice for Form I-485 ( Applicable in case of pending green card application).
  • Two passport-style photographs.
  • A copy of any document issued to you by the Service showing present status in the U.S.
  • A copy of an official photo identity document (with photo, name, and date or birth) such as a passport or driver’s license.
  • Evidence showing your reasons and/or necessity to travel, if necessary in your application type.
  • If you are traveling to Canada to apply for an immigrant visa, a copy of the U.S. consular appointment letter.
  • Copy of your marriage certificate if you are applying for advance parole based on pending green card petition of your spouse.
  • Copy of the child’s birth certificate if applying for advance parole for a child based on pending green card petition of the primary applicant.

Where to File Advance Parole Application (if not E-filing)?

Advance Parole based on a pending Form I-485: Mail documents according to the instructions on Form I-485.

USCIS Chicago Lockbox
U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Express Mail and courier deliveries:
131 S. Dearborn,-3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Humanitarian Advance Parole: Mail documents to USCIS Dallas Lockbox Facility

P.O. Box 660865
Dallas, TX 75266

Express mail and courier deliveries:
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Suite 400 Lewisville, TX 75067

You are seeking to file a Form I-131 at an overseas Embassy or Consulate : You must appear in person at the overseas Embassy or Consulate to request pre-authorization.

If you e-file your application for Advance Parole: You will be provided with a confirmation sheet along with the information about where to send your supporting documents. Place a copy of this confirmation sheet on top of your supporting documentation when you mail it to USCIS.

Where to e-file for Advance Parole –

Request for an emergency Advance Parole: You need to visit USCIS local office & make an appointment first. Document required for emergency Advance Parole :

  • A completed and signed Form I-131, Application for Travel Document.
  • Current filing fee for Form I-131 of $575. No biometric fees.
  • Evidence to support the emergency request (e.g. medical documentation, death certificate).
  • Two passport-style photos.

Fees for Advance Parole:

Below is the table for the fees for filing the Advance Parole application. You are responsible to pay the application fees before filing the advance parole application with USCIS.

Applying forFiling FeeBiometric ServicesTotal
Advance Parole Type D (pending I-Form I-485; pending Form I-821; or approved Form I-821D)$575$0$575
Advance Parole Type E (humanitarian parole)$575$0$575
Advance Parole Type F (humanitarian parole)$575$0$575

How Can You Pay the Advance Parole Fees?

You can pay your fees with a credit or debit card, or directly through your checking or savings account. Bank drafts, cashier’s checks, certified checks, personal checks , and money orders.

All the checks must be drawn on U.S. financial institutions and payable in U.S. currency. Checks & money orders must be drawn to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Refrain from using initials like DHS or USDHS etc. Post dated checks are acceptable as long as they are not more than 5 days in advance of the date of receipt. Checks must be dated within the last 6 months. Place the check on the top of the application, when submitting the application.

USCIS accepts credit cards in all domestic Field Offices that accept payments. Accepted cards include Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, and Discover® Network.

Important Notice

  • Bear in mind that these fees are estimates and may vary, depending on the difficulty/simplicity and specific facts of each individual case. Fees are subjected to change without a notice.
  • You don’t have to pay additional fees for Advance  Parole, if you filed Form I-485 with a fee, on or after July 30, 2007.
  • Advance parole applicants need not pay the biometric fee.
  • All the application fee is non-refundable, even when you decide to withdraw your application.
  • Fees is not accepted in form of Cash & traveler’s check.
  • For USCIS Lockbox facility please refer to Lockbox filing tips.


Related Articles

Related Articles