Get a digital photograph of each applicant
A digital photograph is required for while applying for a US visa. The photograph must meet certain criteria. A good photographer or studio can get this picture if you mention photograph needed for US visa purpose.
The digital photograph must meet the following requirements:
- The digital photograph must be a square.
- Minimum dimensions must be 600 pixels by 600 pixels.
- Maximum dimensions must be 1200 pixels by 1200 pixels.
- Image must be in color (24 bits per pixel).
- Image must be in the JPEG format (.jpg or .jpeg file extension).
- File size of the image must be less than or equal to 240 kilobytes.
Complete US visa application form DS160
Visitor visa application (form DS160) must be completed online, over the internet. You can complete the application here.
After successfully completing the application, you will receive a confirmation with a 10-digit barcode. Take a printout of this page. This will be needed for setting up your visa interview appointment.
Pay the US visa application fee
The fee can be paid either electronically as a bank transfer or in cash at designated CitiBank or Axis bank branches throughout the India. In order to ensure the proper amount is paid and activated in a timely manner, first create a profile at US visa Service website and choose the Schedule Appointment option. On the payment confirmation screen you will be presented with payment options and further details of how to initiate payment. The fee is good for a year from the date of payment. You must take an appointment within a year for your visa interview.
Take appointment for visa interview
Take online visa appointment at official website for US visa appointment.(www.ustraveldocs.com/in).
US Visa Fingerprinting at Visa Application Center (VAC)
After taking appointment with the consulate or embassy for personal interview, schedule the fingerprinting appointment at least a day or two before the interview at the consulate. Earlier, the fingerprints were taken during the personal interview. But under the new rules you are required to give the Biometrics information at the VAC appointment. This measure has been introduced to reduce congestion at the US consular facilities and to speed up the applicant processing. Schedule the visa interview appointment at the Consulate or Embassy prior to the VAC appointment.
Go for visa interview at designated US consulate
On the day and time of your appointment for interview, go to the consulate where your interview is scheduled. Carry all mandatory and supporting documents and originals.
Carry the following to your interview:
- Your passport (and your old passports if any)
- Your photograph
- The DS160 barcode page (you will not need the full application)
- The visa application fee receipts (applicable for application in US consulate in India)
- Visa appointment letter.
- Petition-based visa applicants (H, L, F, J, M, R visas) should also bring petition-related documents.
- Supporting documents, based on what kind of visa you are applying for.