Documents for Newborn Baby

HomeUS Visa & ImmigrationDocuments for Newborn Baby

Birth Certificate of Your New Born Baby

How do I apply for my baby’s birth certificate?
You will be required to fill out a form during your hospital stay for the birth certificate, and the rest will be taken care by the hospital. You will receive the birth certificate through mail.

In case you haven’t decided the name of your baby, then you can fill out the form later and submit it at your County Health Department. It might take a while before you actually receive it.

It is always better to be ready with the baby’s name, as it is always much easy to apply at the birth time. There is no charge for this service.

Why do I need extra copies of my baby’s birth certificate?

Any certificate of birth issued by a hospital is not a legal document. You need to apply for a birth certificate to be at your local county department. You will be required to submit copies of the birth certificate during your child’s school enrollment, work permit, passport, drivers license, social security number etc.

How do I apply for extra copies of birth certificate?

You will be given a form during your hospital stay to order extra copies of the birth certificate. Fill it and post it to your county Health Department along with the required fee per copy. Your baby’s record will be at this office for 3 years.

If you want some more copies after this time duration, then you must send in baby’s name, date of birth, and parents name at your State Health Vital Records Office.

You can find your state Department of Health at:

Social Security Number For Your New Born Baby

Why should I get SSN for my baby?
Being a USA citizen, SSN is very important and must for your baby.
Getting a SSN is just the beginning of the valuable protection and benefits your child may be eligible for in the future.

Are there any other advantages of getting an SSN?
Young children need SSN for many reasons, if you plan to:

  • Open a bank account.
  • Buy saving bonds.
  • Obtain medical coverage.
  • Apply for some kind of government services for your child.

How do I apply for my baby’s SSN?
You have two choices. You can:

  • Apply for SSN in the hospital when you furnish information for your baby’s birth certificate. It is always much easy to apply at the birth time. You will be asked if you want to apply for a SSN for your baby. If “yes”, you need to provide both parents SSN. Your baby will be assigned a number which will be directly mailed to you.
  • You can apply later also for a SSN, through the Social Security Administration Office. You will need to:

    • Fill out an SSN application. (You need to provide both parents SSN.)
    • Show evidence of your child’s age, identity and citizenship.
    • Show evidence of your identity.

Do I have to pay in order to get a SSN?
No! there is no charge for a SSN card.

What if I lose the card?
Keep your baby’s SSN card in a safe place. It’s an important document. However, if you lose the card, it can be replaced free of charge at your nearest social security office.

Baby’s Passport (American passport)

If applying for your child under age 13:
As a parent or legal guardian you may apply for your child. Normally, your child need not appear in person. However, passport agents reserve the right to require appearance of your child. Both the parents are required to show their current valid ID. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must show an alien registration card (“green card”), valid foreign passport, or driver’s license. If you do not have acceptable ID, someone with current valid ID must vouch for you as described above.

What are the documents required:

  • Provide Two Passport Photos
    Your photographs must be: 2×2 inches in size, identical, taken within the past 6 months, showing full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background. Do not wear a hat or headgear.
  • Original copy of your child’s birth certificate. (Xerox copies are not accepted).
  • Copy of your child’s Social Security Number. (Xerox copies are accepted).
  • Both the parents ID such as Driver’s License or passport etc.
  • Application form.
  • passport fee and processing fee.

** Note: A child would be issued a Passport valid maximum for five(5) years.

What is the passport fee:

Passport ServicePassport Fee*Execution Fee*Total Fees
Under Age 16$25$15$40
Age 16 and older$45$15$60

Do I Need to Obtain a Separate Passport for My Baby?
Yes. All persons, including newborn infants, are required to obtain passports in their own names.

Where to get the application form?
Passport acceptance facilities provide passport forms. They can also be downloaded from the internet at or obtained by calling the National Passport Information Center at 1-900-225-5674.

Where to apply?
There are over 4,500 public places that accept passport applications, all over the United states.
Find out the nearest location and office
where you can apply for a passport.

How much time does it take to get the passport?
Routine Service will take normally, about 6 weeks time. And it will be mailed to you. But there are different services available, you can opt any one which suits you most. Faster the service, more will be the fee.

How to get a faster service?
If you need your passport urgently, then you can take the Expedited Service. Additional $35 for each application will be charged for such service.

What are the mode of payment?

  • Major Credit Card – Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or debit card (Not ATM and without a pin). Some passport facilities do not accept credit cards.
  • Personal Check.
  • Bank Draft, Postal or Commercial Money Order.

Not to Do?

  • Apply several months in advance of your planned departure. Allow more time for visa from the foreign embassy.
  • Both the parents must provide their valid ID’s.
  • Normally, presence of your baby (under 13 years of age) is not required. However, passport agents reserve the right to require appearance of the child.

Useful link:
To find out the nearest passport facility, and other information on Passport Services, visit this link at :

Getting Indian Visa For Your Child:

Do I need to obtain a separate visa for my baby?
Yes. All persons, including newborn infants, are required to obtain visa in their own names, to enter India.

What kind of visa will my baby get?
Your baby can get a Tourist Visa, either valid for six month stay or for ten years with six months stay at each visit to India.

What is the visa fee?
Visa fee for US nationals:

Type Of VisaFee
Six months Tourist Visa – Multiple Entry$60
One Year Tourist Visa – Multiple Entry$85


All fees must be paid either in cash or through money orders, bank drafts or certified checks drawn in favor of Consulate General of India, place ( San Fransisco/Houston/ Chicago/New York/Washington, D.C.). No personal checks accepted.


Visa fee once submitted cannot be refunded.

What documents required?

  • Provide One Passport Photo.
  • Your photograph must be: 2×2 inches in size, taken within the 30 days of applying, showing full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background. Do not wear a hat or headgear.
  • Application form which can be downloaded from the internet
  • Visa fee.
  • Valid Passport.


A child would be issued a Visa valid maximum for five(5) years.


Neither of the Indian Consulates or Embassy has appointed agents/representatives for accepting application for consular services. All applications should be sent directly to the consulate, either through mail or in person, and not through any agent.

How can we receive the Visa/Passport?
One can receive their Visa/Passport:

  • At the Consulate, in person.
  • By mail as well. The processing and delivery time for the applications received via mail is longer.

For more information on getting Indian Visa, visit Indian consulate web sites given on page: Indian consulates in USA.

What is the PIO card ? and how to get one.
Click here to read about PIO card and its requirements



Related Articles

Related Articles