US Visas


Two basic types of US visas:

  • Immigrant visas:
    For those intending to reside permanently in the United States (whether or not they intend to work).
  • Nonimmigrant visas:
    Visa for visiting United States temporarily. Tourist or medical treatment, business purposes, students, participants in exchange programs, temporary workers, performing artists, professional journalists, government representatives, etc.

Different categories of visas:

  • Temporary Worker Visas:
    There are several categories of temporary worker visas. All applicants for such visas, must have a petition approved by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) before applying for the visa.

    Registered nurses, persons in a specialty occupation H-1B, temporary or seasonal agricultural workers, temporary or seasonal non-agricultural workers, trainees other than medical or academic, practical training in the education of handicapped children.

    L Visa— Intracompany transferees. L2 is a dependent visa for L1 family members.

    O-1 Visa— Persons with extraordinary ability in the science, arts, education, business, athletics, or extraordinary achievements in the motion picture and television field.

    P-1 to P-3 Visa— Individual or team of athletes, or members of an entertainment group, that are internationally recognized.

    The spouse and unmarried, minor children of an applicant for H or L visas may also be classified as nonimmigrant in order to accompany or join the principal applicant.

    ** A person who has received a H4 visa as the spouse or child of a temporary worker, may not accept employment in the United States.
  • Student Visas:
    There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States. The F visa is for academic studies, and the M visa is for nonacademic or vocational studies.

    ** A spouse, and unmarried, minor children may also receive nonimmigrant visas to accompany or follow the student.
  • Visitors Visas( B1/ B2):
    Visitors visas are nonimmigrant visas, for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for
    • Business purpose B1
    • For pleasure or Tourist purpose B2 visa.
    • For Medical treatment (B-2). (These visas are for a specifically limited period.)


Foreign travelers who are citizens from certain eligible countries, may not need Tourist / Business visa to visit the U.S. They can enter USA without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program.
Following countries are in the Visa Waiver Program.
Andorra, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom (For citizens with the unrestricted right of permanent abode in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.)

Application and Visa Fees for non-immigrant visas:

Non Immigrant Visa Fee Details

Process to apply ?

All US visa applicants require to be interviewed by a US Consulate, before being granted a visa. Applicant need to appear in person for the Interview at consulate. A prior appointment is must for this purpose.

Find out which Consulate is applicable for you. There are 4 USA consulate in India and based on your address of residency/state in India, need to contact a specific service provider for that consulate that is applicable for you.

  • Prepare all the documents as per the list given above.
  • Setup an appointment for the interview. Submit the documents.
  • Go for the interview on scheduled time, if visa approved give electronic figure printing.
  • Passport will be delivered by courier at your address.

Complete information on visa application process

Related Articles

Related Articles