Traveling to USA can be exciting or exhausting depending on the amount of homework you do before you actually board the plane. Here are some useful travel tips that will act a travel guide.
- Tips prior to traveling
- Manage your luggage
- While at departure airport
- At the intermediate/transit airport
- At destination airport
- Making a telephone call from airport
- Useful tips
- Do you need a travel companion?
- Useful tips when you travel back to your home country.
Travel Guide for Flying to USA
- Make sure you and your family have proper Visitors Coverage
- Choose the flight best suited to you.
- Try to get the best deal on your tickets. Find out the rates offered by other airlines.
- Booking tickets through a travel agent is always better. Agents may give you some discount.
- When you book your ticket, mention your food preference whether you want vegetarian or non-vegetarian food.
- Make sure the date and time of travel on your ticket is correct. Call up the local airlines office to confirm. Flight timings may confuse you (e.g. Boarding on 5/1/2000 at 00:45 means 4th night 12:45 PM and not 5th night, as many airlines start with 00:00 after midnight.)
- You should also confirm about the luggage limit that you can carry (the weight and number of bags for both cabin and check in luggage).
- Make sure that you have reached to the right terminal, for your airlines departure.
- Try to reach the airport at least 3 hours before departure. This way you can get your seat preferences. Different airlines have different seating arrangements e.g.3-3-3, 3-4-3, 2-2-2 etc.
- Each piece of luggage should have your name and address tag so your luggage can be identified at the destination airport, esp. if it gets lost.
- Get currency of the destination country. You can exchange currency from the authorized banks e.g. State Bank Of India, etc. or from organizations like Thomas cook etc. Normally they have counters at the airport too. They also make an entry on your passport.
- Hand or cabin luggage: This is what you can carry with you in the plane. Keep it small and handy, so that you can keep it in the overhead luggage space in the cabin. Trolley bags are always advisable. Many airlines allow one cabin bag, but ladies can carry their purse or handbag along with their cabin bag.
Since the allowed luggage size and weight is restricted, it is recommended to keep only important and handy items in the hand baggage, like important documents, one pair of clothes, woollen sweater, medicines, etc.
- Check in luggage: These are the big luggage items that you will have to hand over at the airlines check in counter. Most of the airlines allow 2 big pieces of baggage as the check-in luggage.
* This is only generalized information, it may differ from airline to airline, check with your airline.
While you are at the departure airport
You have to go through few formalities before boarding the plane.
At the Intermediate/Transit Airport
If you have to change the flight at the intermediate airport then:
** In case you have to change the terminal, then first find out information about the connecting airport shuttle to the respective terminal. It is always advisable to find out such information beforehand, as in some countries, you may need a Transit Visa to leave one airport, to go to the other one.
Before you reach destination
When you reach your Destination Airport in USA.
- Finger print and picture taken at immigration counter
- Baggage collection
- See complete details and process of entering in to USA - At the Port of entry in USA
** Remember: If you are questioned by the airport officers, answer them properly without any fear. But be careful, there should not be any discrepancy in the information stated in your documents and what you answer. It has happened in few cases, that due to the unsatisfactory answers about the stay, status, etc. people have been deported immediately. For instance, don't ever say, you will work here, if you hold H4, L2, B1 or visitor visa.
US Custom related questions:Checkout the frequently asked question and answers about US customs.
Making a call from the Airport.
You can make a call anywhere in the world from most of the airport public booths using visa/master cards. You will find dial-in instructions be on the phone.
Most phone system has options to use your credit card.
A international calling card can also be purchased at most intermediate airport. You can enquire about it at the information counter at the airport.
Collect call - Search on the internet for more details about how to make a collect call to USA from any where in the world.
Here is some useful english differences / terminology you may find very useful during your flight or at the airport. Specially if your destination is USA and traveling by a USA airlines.
You can find more : More commonly used english words and differences
Frequently Asked Questions
What if at the last moment, they ask you to give your cabin bag as check in luggage?
Sometimes, it happens that at the last minute you may be asked to check in your cabin bag. You may have some important documents and jewelry in it. So don't panic, in such case insist that you want to keep them with you. Remember you are doing a favor to them by traveling by their airlines and not vice versa, so politely try to talk them about your problem.
What if you lose your luggage?
Normally, this doesn't happen. In case you do not find your check in luggage, inform the airlines authorities. If it is misplaced during transit or in the airlines, then it will be delivered to your address in a few days. If it is delayed for more then 2 days or so, You may ask for the compensation to buy daily necessary stuff, till you get your luggage back.
If it is missing for ever, they will compensate according to their nominal rules.
What if your flight is delayed or canceled?
In case your flight is delayed because of bad weather, or any other reason, airlines might offer you food, and make arrangements for your stay.
What if you miss your flight?
Talk to the airlines staff or authorities at the airport, they should be able to send you on the next available flight, or make some other other alternative arrangements.
What if nobody comes to receive you at the airport?
Find out information from the Information Counter, about the taxi stand or the airport shuttle schedules. It's always better to have a complete address of your stay. Try to get driving directions from the web sites like yahoo etc. These directions can be useful for the driver to take you to the right place.Bon Voyage!
- Find Travel Companion for your travel
- Visitor Medical Insurance, Did you get the visitor insurance for US visit?
- Exiting USA : Travel back to home country - a must read
Need Travel Companion?
If you are traveling first time and need any travel companion ?
Its not a bad idea to find some one who is traveling in the same flight.
While knowing some one who is traveling with you provide you a mental comfort , its may also be a good time pass.
Post your Ad here on path2usa for Travel companion, This will help you or people like you to find travel companion.