USA Visitor Visa Applicant Documents

USA Visitor Visa Applicant Documents

Mandatory documents required for US Visitor Visa (Tourist Visa)

  • Original Passport with a six month validity beyond expected arrival date in USA.
  • All old passports.
  • One photograph per specification. Both digital and hard copy of the photograph are required.
  • DS160 US Visa application confirmation page stamped at the Visa Application Center (VAC).
  • Proof of fee payment, which is a valid receipt.
  • Printout of US Interview appointment letter.

Supporting documents for US Visitor Visa (Tourist Visa)

The purpose of supporting documents is to verify -
  • Legitimacy
  • Validity
  • Criminal history, if any
  • Financial affordability;
  • Intent to return to home country.

Additional documents that support the above facilitate a successful visa interview. Various circumstances warrant different supporting documents.

Following is a list of suggested documents for a few circumstances. The suggested documents are not conclusive and only act as a guide.

Supporting documents for tourism, pleasure, and exploring United States

  • Travel itinerary
  • Proof of funds (bank statement, copy of passbook, any other proof of cash).
  • Tax ID, PAN Card, copy of last year's tax documents.
  • Business card if you have one.

Supporting documents for visiting children, family, attending family event, etc.

  • Letter of invitation from children or relatives.
  • Proof of event, invitation card, brochure, etc.

Supporting documents for medical treatment

If the purpose of your trip is to seek medical treatment, please see separate list of required documents for US visitor visa for medical treatment.

Supporting Documents for B2 visa for B1 holder's spouse or children requesting dependent b2 visa to accompany B1 visa holder to the USA.

  • Copy of B1 visa holder's passport and Visa. (If B1 holder already procured his/her visa. Else, pending application)
  • Letter of invitation from B1 holder
  • Arrangements of expenses and stay of the trip from the sponsor, be it from the B1 visa holder or the Company/organization who is undertaking the expenses.
  • Letter to consulate from B1 ( primary visa holder) requesting visa for spouse /children.
  • Letter from Business( company) of B1 visa holder to the consulate endorsing and requesting the visa for B1 holders family may also help.

Once you have all your travel documents in place, it is time to look at visitor's insurance options.

Compare and get one that meets your needs.

Compare & Find Best Plan

Other suggested documents for visitor visa

  • Occupation related: If you are employed, get a letter of employment verification.
  • If you are a government employee, you must get a NOC.
  • If you are self-employed, you must get proof of business ownership and financial history.

Note: The above list of documents is not mandatory, and depending on individual circumstance, some of these documents may not be applicable. Additionally, there may be documents or evidence you can present before the consulate officer that are not listed above. The above list is the most common documents requested by immigration officers during visa interview.

For parents or individual applicants whose trip is sponsored by their children, relatives, or friends who live in United States, they should get certain documents from the sponsors. See the next section for complete list of documents required from sponsor.

See Sample Documents for reference: Sample Documents for US Visitor Visa, H1B Visa & Green Card