Among the millions of people who travel to the United States every year are parents of both nonimmigrants and immigrants who are living, working, or studying in the U.S. Parents visit from overseas to spend time with their children, with a significant percentage of these parents traveling from India. A parent’s stay may range from a few weeks to several months, and typically their trip is well-planned out. One thing that should always be on a parent’s checklist when planning their trip to the United States is securing health insurance while abroad.
While those living in the U.S. are well aware of the complexity and high cost of healthcare, those visiting from other countries may not always realize that medical care in America is not free, and typically can cost thousands of dollars when paying out of pocket for treatment. With a visitors insurance plan, parents visiting the U.S. will be covered if they require any type of medical treatment and will be protected from exorbitant healthcare costs. Getting insurance for parents visiting USA is easy to do online and there are tons of sufficient plans to choose from.
What is Visitors Insurance?
Visitors insurance is a travel medical insurance plan that you purchase before embarking on your travels. It is typically used for international travel in plan of your domestic healthcare insurance plan, which in most cases would not cover any medical costs incurred while out of your home country. It works similarly like a standard health insurance plan and can have various types of coverage such as limited or comprehensive. You can also choose your premium and deductibles based on your individual budget and needs.
Why Get Health Insurance for Parents Visiting USA?
With age comes additional health risks, especially for parents who may have pre-existing health conditions. The increased likelihood of needing medical treatment while traveling abroad, especially if your parents are staying for an extended period of time in the U.S., makes getting visitor insurance for parents visiting USA a necessity. Think of it as a small investment that will give you and your parents piece of mind while visiting, and will protect you in the event of one or both of your parents requiring medical attention.
Additional reasons why visitors insurance is a must for parents visiting the U.S. include:
- Simple accidents happen all the time, especially when unfamiliar with the surroundings, and a trip to the emergency room can mean thousands of dollars spent without insurance.
- If you have to be evacuated back to your home country for medical treatment, your insurance provider will coordinate and pay for the evacuation.
- An illness can happen anytime – the stress of travel, different surroundings, weather changes and more can cause your parent’s immune system to weaken and they get sick. If your parents must go to the hospital, the bill that results could jeopardize your financial security and your sponsorship without insurance to cover it.
- Those legally living and working in the U.S. have the opportunity and responsibility to buy health insurance, but that insurance cannot protect visitors to the United States. Visitors to the U.S. cannot be added to a health insurance plan paid for by those living and working in the U.S.
- As a legal resident, you may be held legally liable for the medical expenses incurred by those visiting you.
In addition, having a good travel medical insurance policy means true peace of mind. One that covers your parents for medical and travel emergencies ensures that you – and they – can trust that their visit to America, while not risk-free, will be free of the potential for financial disasters.
Best Visitor Insurance for Parents Visiting USA
When shopping for visitors insurance, you’ll discover several plan options with different coverage and premiums to choose from. While it can be overwhelming, we’ve compiled a list of some the best visitor insurance for parents visiting USA that offer excellent coverage and great rates.
Some of the top plans for parents visiting the U.S. include CoverAmerica-Gold and ChoiceAmerica, as they all feature excellent PPO networks, reliable comprehensive coverage, and coverage for acute onset of pre-existing conditions.
CoverAmerica – Gold
CoverAmerica – Gold, an exclusive travel medical insurance policy designed to provide comprehensive coverage for international travelers to the U.S., is a great plan for elderly travelers, especially those coming from the Indian sub-continent. For more information on this unique plan, visit CoverAmerica – Gold Insurance.
- Rated “A” Plan
- Up to $150 Towards Public Health Emergency Screening (Covid-19 test)
- No Cancellation fee
- Plan pays 100% of eligible medical expenses up to the medical maximum after deductible is met
- Urgent care copay $15
- Coverage for Flu shots
- Acute onset of pre-existing conditions coverage up to policy maximum for those 69 and under, and up to $30,000 for ages 70-79
- Out of pocket maximum is $1,000
ChoiceAmerica is a great budget visitors insurance plan for parents visiting USA. It is a limited or fixed insurance plan, meaning that it pays a fixed amount per incident up to the policy maximum. It also offers optional pre-existing condition coverage which is ideal for elderly parents.
- Plan pays fixed amount per incident up to policy maximum
- Basic coverage, low cost, less benefits
- Coverage for Covid-19 treatment and Flu Shots
- PPO Network
- Optional pre-existing condition coverage
- Urgent Care/Walk-in Clinics
- Coverage for border entry denial
- Coverage for adventure sports and amusement park injuries
- Coverage for loss of passport and essential travel documents
If you’re ready to compare visitors insurance plans, you can get a quote and purchase visitors insurance for parents online in minutes! All you need is the traveler’s name, passport number, and date of birth.
FAQs About Health Insurance for Parents Visiting USA
Q: Can I buy health insurance for my Indian parents from the US?
A: Yes, you can buy health insurance for your parents from the US. Just make sure you set the plan activation date according to their travel plans. Some plans cover travel time as well, which is beneficial for parents who are traveling from India to USA.
Q: Is it cheaper to buy travel insurance from India or USA?
A: Costs of the insurance plans vary in different countries, depending on the vendor and the age of the traveler. What doesn’t vary is the fact that the payment and claims process is much easier if the insurance plan is bought from the US rather than India. So in the long run, purchasing visitor’s insurance from the US is usually always the better choice.
Q: Do any insurance plans cover Covid-19 for elderly parents?
A: Yes, there are several insurance plans that cover Covid-19 like any other illness. One of the most popular choices for parents from India is CoverAmerica – Gold.
Q: Do my parents traveling from India to the US need to be Covid vaccinated to be eligible for travel insurance?
A: The Covid vaccine is not a criteria to be eligible for visitors insurance. However, it may be mandatory to travel to the US, depending on what is currently being enforced. So your parents may have to get the complete series of the Covid vaccinations and wait a certain amount of time before planning to travel.
Q: Can I cancel the insurance plan if my parents’ travel plans change?
A: Most plans are cancellable and renewable. These can be adjusted depending upon the plan you purchase.
Q: Can I buy health insurance for my Indian citizen parents or do they have to buy it themselves?
A: You can definitely purchase the travel insurance for your parents. There are several options available from the market place in the US that allow you to customize the best insurance plan for your parents.
Q: Can I buy visitors insurance for my parents who are over 70 years old?
A: Yes, there are several travel insurance plans available that cater to elderly parents. Its best to talk to a licensed professional before making a purchase so as to ensure that it is best suited to your parent’s needs – age, health conditions and duration of stay in the US.
Find the Right Travel Insurance for Parents Visiting USA
Get quotes, compare various plans, and buy travel medical insurance for parents visiting USA online!
DisclaimerThe information represented on this page is provided by VisitorsCoverage Inc., a US-based licensed insurance service provider.