USA Visitors Visa Sponsor Documents – Sponsor Document Checklist

If you are sponsor, inviting parents or relatives to the US, certain documents are required of you -
  • Home
  • Articles
  • USA Visitors Visa Sponsor Documents – Sponsor Document Checklist
HomeVisa GuideUSA Visitors Visa Sponsor Documents – Sponsor Document Checklist

1 Affidavit of support form


How to fill form I-134?

2 Letter of Invitation

Planning a Trip to the US?

Get the right travel insurance before you board your flight.

3 Letter to US Consulate

  • Letter to US Consulate requesting that visa be granted to the person you are sponsoring.

4 Financial documents ( To demonstrate your financial ability as a sponsor)

  • Bank statements : Latest two bank statements.
  • Bank account verification letter to prove your bank account and bank balance.
  • 1 or 2 recent pay stub copies.
  • Copy of a few recent income tax returns Or last few W2 forms.( If available).
  • If you are self employed or business owner, copy of your personal tax return.

5 Sponsor’s residency status in USA

  • Copy of passport..
  • Letter of employment (if the sponsor is an employee in USA). (See a sample letter : Employment verification letter).
  • If you are a Visa holder Copies of your – Visa (H1/L1), H1 Approval Form (I-797), and I-94. (If visa has expired but has a renewed petition, a photocopy of the renewed petition.)
  • If Green Card Holder: Copy of Green Card front and back.
  • If US citizen: Copy of certificate of citizenship.

6 For parents visiting their children in USA, the sponsoring child must also provide the following documents.

  • Birth certificate of the sponsoring child. If birth certificate is not readliy available an affidavit may be helpful. See a Sample: Affidavit for Birth Certificate
  • Copy of passport of the sponsoring child. Note:If you are sponsoring your in-laws, birth certificate and passport(all pages) copies are required for the child of the visa applicant, i.e. your spouse).

FAQ for the Sponsor:

  1. As a sponsor, do I need to send documents directly to VFS or US Consulate? Or the applicant will carry the document to the consulate at the time of interview?

    • As a sponsor you should send the documents to the applicant, and let applicant carry those to the consulate for the interview.
  2. Do I need to send separate I-134 form for each visitor?

    • If persons applying for Visitor Visa are husband wife and their children you don’t need to send separate forms.One from is sufficient and the same form will have space to provide their details. For example: if you are inviting your parents(Father and Mother) or your in laws (Father-in-laws and Mother-in- laws) just one form, is sufficient.
  3. How much minimum savings(Balance) should be good to show in my(sponsor) Bank Account?

    • There is no official limit or set rules for a minimum balance requirement for your bank account. Any amount that can justify the overall cost involved to support the trip and your financial ability to take care of the expenses related to trip will do. People’s experiences say that any amount over $5K to 10K$ should be good, More is good. Provide proof of funds for as much as possible.

Related Articles

Related Articles