Health Insurance for Visiting USA
Why is Health Insurance Important When Traveling to The USA
The United States is one of the most popular destinations for travelers around the world. Enjoying your travels is important and requires having peace of mind. While it may be popular, the US is notorious for having some of the most expensive medical costs. Ensuring that you have the security you need to freely experiment with a new country like the US and its culture starts with purchasing a good medical travel insurance plan.
Should an unforeseen mishap or illness occur and you are in need of medical attention, you will likely be faced with a huge financial responsibility if you aren’t insured. As quoted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), travel medical insurance can reduce the cost attached to a medical emergency and reduce the financial burden on travelers by providing access to quality care and financial help if the unexpected occurs as you travel the country.
In several instances, when getting a tourist visa to the US, which is a non-immigrant visa, you may have to provide supporting evidence at the port of entry, indicating that you are able to pay for return travel, and any unforeseen medical costs in the US. Having a travel medical insurance like CoverAmerica helps satisfy these requirements as it also gives access to a visa letter which can serve as proof of work visa health insurance.
What Type of Coverage Will You Need?
International travel insurance policies are of many types and there are many options available for each of the circumstances that a traveler may encounter during their travel to the US. Buying a policy depends upon several factors like the duration of your trip, age of the traveler, as well as the kind of activities that the traveler intends to participate in while here in the US.
Depending upon their physical condition and the pre-existing conditions they may have, here are some options that are available for health travel insurance:
- Comprehensive Plan – While one’s domestic health insurance policy will cover them in their home-country, it may not cover medical costs when in the US. Given that the traveler is solely responsible for their own medical expenses when in the US, only a comprehensive travel medical insurance will fulfill this requirement when traveling into the US.
- Limited Plan – While this plan does provide coverage, it is limited to certain predefined charges for specific treatment and services a policyholder will receive. A limited plan is inexpensive compared to most other plans and lets you visit any doctor but based on some specific clauses. Recommended limited coverage plans for visitors to the United States include Visitors Care and VisitorSecure.
- Trip Activities – Being on a trip to the US means having fun, partaking in adventures and doing something memorable. If your trip covers adventure sports or amusement parks, it also comes with a minimum amount of risk involved. While we are all for some excitement, having an insurance plan that covers these allows you to indulge in them with a peace of mind.
- Evacuation Coverage – If for whatever reason, you have to be evacuated from wherever you are due to a natural calamity, you will be taken care of if you have a medical insurance plan that covers evacuations.
Why is Travel Health Insurance Most Important for Senior Parents?
Per statistics from healthcare.gov, medical costs within the US for a straightforward three-day hospital stay could range anywhere from $28,000 to $35,000. This is the last thing an elderly traveler should have to worry about during his visit to the US.
The following are some reasons travel medical insurance is considered a must-have for senior visitors to the US:
- Pre-existing Conditions: Peace of mind is an essential part of having older parents come visit their children in the US. If a parent has pre-existing health conditions, choosing an insurance plan that covers these conditions can save thousands on medical treatment if symptoms reappear while in the US. See: Pre-existing Medical Conditions for Visitors to the USA
- Falling Sick: An unfortunate element of being elderly is the high chance of falling ill. Being covered for sickness will make sure that you are able to receive medical care in the event of falling ill unexpectedly. Be it an acute onset of a pre-existing condition, or an unforeseen illness, travel medical insurance can cover for both.
What are the Best Travel Health Insurance Plans?
You need to make your choice based on factors that are most relevant to you. While these plans have both comprehensive as well as limited coverage options available, your choice should be made depending upon your personal needs.
While some travel health insurance plans offer coverage for acute onset of pre-existing conditions (CoverAmerica – Gold & Patriot America Plus), others have limited coverage for an acute onset of a pre-existing condition. Either way, opting for one of the top three international health insurance plans will give you the peace of mind you need to make your travels stress-free as well as memorable.
- CoverAmerica Gold: Ranked as one of the most popular travel medical insurance plans, CoverAmerica Gold has a multitude of favorable features and covers Covid-19 the same as any other eligible medical condition. Some unique coverages are like that of the loss of a passport, international missed flights, and border entry protection. CoverAmerica Gold has the added advantage of covering up to the policy maximum, should there be an acute onset of pre-existing conditions. This also leads up to the next major bonus of having an urgent care consultation copay of just $15. CoverAmerica-Gold also has a $0 cancellation and extension fee. Lastly, if the insured person buys a policy for at least 30 days, they are eligible for a free Public Health Emergency Screening (Covid-19 test) even when a travel warning is in place for the country of destination.
- Patriot America Plus: This plan has a 100% coverage up to the policy maximum within the PPO network in the U.S. If you are looking to have insurance coverage within a PPO network and also want a comprehensive plan, the Patriot America Plus which covers a time frame anywhere between 5 days to 365 days of your travel is your answer to the most suitable travel medical insurance.
- ChoiceAmerica: For a basic travel medical insurance that allows you to visit any doctor or hospital, Choice America is your best option. It is low cost and has predefined limits for each medical service and treatment received. It also covers for Covid-19 treatment and flu shots in the US. Although this plan is not available to US citizens or residents, it does cover amusement parks and cruises in North America.