One of the pleasures of traveling is traveling with a peace of mind, with no worries and nothing in the back of your mind that requires your attention away from your itinerary. There can be many unpredictable moments like trip cancellations and interruptions or even obvious ones like anticipated or unexpected medical expenses in a foreign country. One of the most prudent ways to mitigate your risks is to get travel medical insurance.
Visitor Visa Travel Health Insurance is a temporary health insurance plan for international travelers traveling to the USA on visitors visa. that provides coverage for emergent and non-emergent situations when traveling abroad. For a traveler visiting the US, this is especially necessary since the medical expenses can reach up to unprecedented amounts if one doesn’t have the right kind of coverage. Although not mandatory for travel to the US, it is recommended for travelers to get the health coverage to avoid a huge financial disaster if faced with an unanticipated incident. Taking health insurance would help cover a range of situations from injuries or accidents or trip related incidents like evacuations or mishaps that may occur during your trip.
What does a Travel Health Insurance Cover?
Depending upon the policy and coverage type, tourist visa medical insurance has you covered for a wide range of unexpected and predisposed conditions. This not only allows you to travel with a peace of mind but also ensures that someone has your back when you don’t have a plan. Below are some of the areas covered by travel medical insurance:
- Unexpected Medical Emergencies
- Injuries or Illness
- Medical Evacuation
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Travel Interruption
- Funeral Expenses
- Repatriation of Remains
- Baggage Loss Coverage
- Emergency Assistance Available 24/7
What You Should Know Before Buying Travel Insurance for visitors visa holders?
While travel medical insurance cover a wide range of incidents, the coverage essentially depends upon a few factors. It is the travelers responsibility to read the policy details and ensure it is the right visitors insurance plan for you and your trip. It is also important to note what may not be covered by your choice of visitors insurance.
- The duration of your trip is an important factor in knowing for how long a coverage you need.
- While a good insurance plan will provide a financial safety net, your budget when planning the choice of policy is important. Policy maximums can start from as little as $50,000 and can be as high as $4 million.
- Age of the traveler is also important to see of the policy covers that specific age group or not.
- Educate yourself about the pre-existing conditions you may have before determining the coverage. This will ensure you are not caught unawares.
- Choose an insurance plan that is well versed with the U.S. healthcare industry.
- Select an insurance plan that has a good ratings (A, A+, A++), and compare the same plans provided by different insurance companies to get the best price.
- Usually, plans provided in different countries other than the U.S. do not provide health coverage to people above 50 years of age. Whereas, the health insurance plans in the U.S. provide better coverage to older people.
What is the Recommended Travel Medical Coverage for a Visitor to the US?
- 5 days to 1 month, it is recommended to spend $50,000-$100,000 in medical coverage.
- 1 month to 3 months, $100,000-$500,000
- 3 months or longer, 500,000 or more
- Lastly, if the traveler is an elderly person, the risks are higher and plans should be commensurate to his age and physical condition.
What are some of the most Popular Tourist Visa Insurance Plans?
- Cover America Gold: Ranked as one of the most popular travel medical insurance, Cover America Gold has a multitude of favorable features. These include unique coverage like that of the loss of a passport, international missed flights, and border entry protection. Cover America Gold has the added advantage of having up to $125,000 available, should there be an acute onset of pre-existing conditions. This also leads up to the next major bonus of having an urgent care consultation copay of just $20-$25.
- Patriot America Plus: This plan has a 100% coverage up to the policy maximum outside the US and covers international travel. If you are looking to have insurance coverage within a PPO network and also want a comprehensive plan, the Patriot America Plus which covers a time frame anywhere between five days to 365 days of your travel is your answer to the most suitable travel medical insurance.
- Choice America: For a basic travel medical insurance that allows you to visit any doctor or hospital, Choice America is you best option. It is low cost and has a predefined limit for each medical service that takes out the guesswork out of the equation. Although this plan is not available to US citizens or residents, it does cover amusement parks and cruises in both North and South America.