One of the pleasures of traveling is unwinding and having peace of mind, with no worries and nothing lingering on your mind that requires your attention away from your itinerary. However, when it comes to traveling abroad, there are always uncertainties. There can be many unpredictable moments like trip cancellations and interruptions or even unexpected medical expenses in a foreign country. One of the most prudent ways to mitigate your risks is to get health insurance for tourists in USA.
Visitor visa medical insurance for USA is a temporary health insurance plan for international travelers to the U.S. on a visitors visa that provides coverage for emergency and non-emergency situations when that may arise when traveling abroad. For a traveler visiting the U.S., this is especially necessary since the medical expenses can reach up to unprecedented amounts if one doesn’t have the right kind of coverage. Although not mandatory for travel to the U.S., it is recommended for travelers to get health insurance for tourists to avoid a huge financial disaster if faced with an unanticipated incident. Purchasing health insurance would help cover a range of situations from injuries, accidents or other trip-related incidents like evacuations or mishaps that may occur during your trip.
What Does Tourist Health Insurance for US Cover?
Depending upon the policy and coverage type, tourist health insurance has you covered for a wide range of unexpected and predisposed conditions. This not only allows you to travel with a peace of mind, but also ensures that someone has your back when you don’t have a plan.
Below are some of the areas covered by tourist visa health insurance:
- Unexpected Medical Emergencies
- Injuries or Illness
- Medical Evacuation
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Travel Interruption
- Funeral Expenses
- Repatriation of Remains
- Baggage Loss Coverage
- Emergency Assistance Available 24/7
What You Should Know Before Buying Visitor Visa Insurance for USA?
While travel medical insurance covers a wide range of incidents, the coverage depends upon a few factors. It is the traveler’s responsibility to read the policy details and ensure it is the right visitors insurance plan for you and your trip. It is also important to note what may or may not be covered by your choice of visitors insurance. Here are some things to keep in mind when deciding upon a visitors visa insurance plan:
- The duration of your trip will help you decide on the length of your coverage.
- While a good insurance plan will provide a financial safety net, your budget when planning the choice of policy is important. Policy maximums can start from as little as $50,000 and can be as high as $4 million. The higher the policy maximum, the higher premium you will pay.
- Age of the traveler is also important to see if the policy covers that specific age group or not.
- Educate yourself about the pre-existing conditions you may have before determining the coverage you need.
- Choose an insurance plan that is well reviewed in the U.S. healthcare industry.
- Select an insurance plan that has a good ratings (A, A+, A++), and compare the same plans provided by different insurance companies to get the best price.
- Usually, plans provided in different countries other than the U.S. do not provide health coverage to people above 50 years of age. Whereas, the health insurance plans in the U.S. provide better coverage for older people.
Worried About Traveling To The US With Pre-Existing Medical Conditions?
Here are the BEST travel insurance plans for you
What is the Recommended Travel Medical Coverage for a Visitor to the US?
For a visitor to the United States, we recommend the following travel medical coverage amounts based on duration of stay:
- 5 days to 1 month, it is recommended to have $50,000-$100,000 in medical coverage.
- 1 month to 3 months, $100,000-$500,000
- 3 months or longer, $500,000 or more
- Lastly, if the traveler is an elderly person, the risks are higher and plans should be commensurate to their age and physical condition.
Popular Tourist Visa Insurance Plans
The following tourist visa insurance plans are top-rated and very popular for US travelers.
CoverAmerica Gold is ranked as one of the most popular travel medical insurance. This plan has a multitude of favorable features including comprehensive coverage of Covid-19. These include unique coverage like that of the loss of a passport, international missed flights, border entry protection and return flight to home country if the trip is cut short due to medical reasons.
CoverAmerica Gold has the added advantage of having up to $125,000 available, should there be an acute onset of pre-existing conditions and up to $150 towards a free Public Health Emergency Screening and coverage of treatment of Coronavirus like any other illness. This also leads up to the next major bonus of having an urgent care consultation copay of just $20-$25.
Patriot America Plus
Patriot America Plus has a 100% coverage up to the policy maximum outside the US and covers international travel. If you are looking to have insurance coverage within a PPO network and also want a comprehensive plan, the Patriot America Plus which covers a time frame anywhere between five days to 365 days of your travel is your answer to the most suitable travel medical insurance.
ChoiceAmerica is a basic travel medical insurance that allows you to visit any doctor or hospital. It is low cost and has a predefined limit for each medical service that takes out the guesswork out of the equation. Although this plan is not available to US citizens or residents, it does cover amusement parks and cruises in both North and South America.
Visitors Care is a great basic health insurance plan for visitors to the United States. It pays a pre-defined fixed limit per treatment or service and pays up to the stated amount in the policy after the deductible is satisfied within the First Health PPO network.
VistorSecure is a low cost, limited coverage health insurance plan for visitors to the U.S. that allows you to visit any doctor or hospital of your choice – no need to stay in network. It pays per incident and covers the acute onset of pre-existing conditions.
Buy Tourist Visa Insurance Today
For more information on the best health insurance for tourists in USA and to purchase your coverage today, visit the trusted choice in online US visitors insurance, VisitorsCoverage.